Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Sound of Fury

"Fools, said I, you do not know
Silence like a cancer grows."

- Simon and Garfunkel - The Sounds of Silence

Normally, when i attack others' choices in entertainment, i exhort them to seek more complexity, novelty, creativity. This is not one of those speeches. This is a speech prompted by a Muse song.

Uprising would be difficult to characterize as the best song Muse ever put out. Other creations have been more complex, more layered, have held deeper meaning and twisted it through more artful subtlety. I am, however, a fan of philosophizing with a hammer. There is a point at which the sheer driving force of a piece of music becomes its philosophy, a push through the lethargy of animal flesh, the will in its own becoming.
"And this is for the questions that don't have any answers, the midnight glances at the topless dancers"
- Kid Rock, Bawitdaba


"Du hast mich gefragt und ich hab nicht gesagt"


We need aggression. We need rage. There is no honor or morality in meek submission to the whims of others. That is the social stagnation which permeates our world.

"I am the voice inside your head, I am the lover in your bed, I am the sex that you deny, I am the hate you try to hide - and I control you"

"I am the prayers of the naive, I am the lie that you believe, I drag you down, I use you up - Mr. Self-Destruct"

To resist, to rebel, is self-destructive from the animal point of view, to deny oneself the power over others which comes through social yea-saying, through complacency and brown-nosing. But to submit is the death of the self.

"On hands and knees we crawl, you cannot stop us all
Our bones, our skin, we will not let you in."
NIN - My Violent Heart

"Well treat me like disease, like the rats and the fleas"
"Take all you that please like my sign says, it's free - till it's gone, till it's gone!
We'll discard whom you please like the leaves off a tree, a-ha-ha!"
- Modest Mouse, March Into the Sea

"fellow creators the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters, for everything about him is ripe for the harvest" - Zarathustra


"I'm in love with this malicious intent. You've been taken but you don't know it yet."
"Wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up" - Ministry - N.W.O.

"Declare this an emergency"
"This is the end of the world.
It's time we saw a miracle, come on, it's time for something biblical." - Muse, Apocalypse Please



You call all this blind rebellion? I call it rebellion against a blind world.

"We sing the death song, kids, 'cause we got no future, and we wanna be just like you." - Marilyn Manson

"Let the bodies hit the floor!"
I'm getting down with the sickness.

But this is not a choice. It is the only option of the self against a self-effacing environment.
"I'm stuck in this dream, it's changing me, I am becoming."
Much madness is divinest sense.
I do not want this.
"And now you're one of us - The Wretched."
"Whose mistake am I, anyway?" - Antichrist Superstar


"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side" - Irresponsible Hate Anthem

But unfortunately, "the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whisper the sounds of silence."

We are much too polite, much too much of the time. And the silence grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment