Sunday, October 25, 2015

May the hype be with you

I'm really starting to want to see The Force Awakens. Yes, I know, I know, after Jar-Jar, midichlorians and the rest of the cutesiness, whinyness and random nonsense of the prequels, I promised myself I'd avoid anything to do with Star Wars, as I'm guessing many, many others had as well. However, our corporate overlords are pouring so much freakin' money into the damn thing that good or bad (most likely bad) it'll become an instant cultural touchstone for the current generation and for once, I wanna be a part of the moment, damnit.

It's not just the marketing or special effects but the fact that they apparently cut Harrison Ford a check fat enough to get him to stop trying to divest himself of Han Solo as he's been doing for the past forty years. That, and they've got Gollum playing the dark side... and they dug up Max von Sydow for some inexplicable reason... and some kind of cameo by Simon Pegg.

More than any of that, though, I hated J. J. Abrams for turning Star Trek into Star Wars... which makes me curious to see what he makes of Star Wars itself. If you can't hack it as Roddenberry you may as well settle for Lucas.

No comments:

Post a Comment