Monday, January 22, 2024

Scorched Attention Strategy

I linked to YouTube for my last couple of musical epigraphs, as is my wont, thinking they'd finally given up on their crusade for brainwashing. Apparently they haven't. Apologies. Let's make this clear: if YouTube does manage to completely ban ad blockers, I will no longer be linking to it. I will very likely no longer be using it. If some of you have visited multiple times in the past months, you may have noticed I've been trying other sites as alternatives, but nothing really has the same gamut of content - yet. Maybe that will work, maybe it won't. Either way, this blog has always stayed as commercial-free as I can make it.

I HATE commercials. That's not hyperbole. I hate both dishonesty and mental control with a passion, and the intrinsically, unendingly, cacophonously screeching YOUBUYIT melds both like no other plague of the modern world save perhaps priests and politicians.

Wikipedia's greatest motivator in asking me for donations? "Keep it ad-free." Ten years ago I opted for GoG over Steam not only to avoid DRM, but because its cleaner site layout was less pushy with the ads. This is, again, a main reason why I pay for Netflix and Hulu can go fuck itself. But YouTube? Making money off content posted by individuals? You get nothing.
 
I own two televisions, thanks to my family dumping crap here on moving. One is now a monitor for a laptop whose screen burned out. The other is gathering dust. While, yes, part of the problem is that I just outgrew TV entertainment in its passivity, the second biggest reason for my lack of interest is commercials. If you're ever in the room with me and a commercial comes on, I will at the very least mute the set while it plays, if not turn it off completely. I am viscerally, violently repulsed by the fucking things. The most nauseating part of 1984, for me? It's not the rats eating your face off. It's never being able to turn off Big Brother's speeches.

Let me repeat: if Google manages to ban ad blockers on YouTube, I will no longer be using YouTube. If it tries to force ads onto this blog, I will end the blog. I want no contact with the parasitic filth "working" in the ad industry besides one day being given the honor of pushing the button to have them all drowned in pig shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment